The Division comprises technical specialist Units in the areas of Training, Plant Health & Food Safety, Livestock Management, Land Husbandry, Protected Agriculture, Publications. The Division also functions as the National Agricultural Disaster Risk Management (ADRM) Unit of the national ADRM programme of the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries.
Major areas of work include staff and farmer training, advisory services, public education, field monitoring and evaluation, technical support, project implementation, field validation studies.
- Build and enhance the technical competence of extension personnel in appropriate agricultural production technologies and impact-oriented, multi-channel extension methodologies, emphasizing ICT ‘s as a major channel to support, increase and modernize agricultural production and productivity;
- Facilitate the above through close linkages with research & development entities, field monitoring and evaluation, database management, technical backstopping, training and re-certification, to ensure the highest levels of staff competence, confidence, currency and professionalism and support comprehensive performance evaluation.
- Generate stakeholder and general public interest and enhance knowledge, attitudes and skills in agriculture through appropriate technical publications; expositions and displays; workshops, seminars and conferences; advisory services.
- Promote the diversification of agriculture, by encouraging appropriate, alternative enterprise options and increasing the value of agriculture to the national economy;
- Promote sustainable, agro-ecologically based farming practices which provide an optimal balance between farming and environmental preservation.
- Monitor crop, livestock and land management practices and systems; pests, pesticides use and general farm practices, to guide and support sustainable and globally competitive agricultural productivity, phyto-sanitary, environmental and human health strategies and standards and national food security.
- Ensure that appropriate plant and animal health and food safety standards are maintained, thereby ensuring national and international confidence in Jamaican agricultural products;
- Support the maintenance of an efficient agricultural disaster risk reduction and management system to ensure adequate stakeholder preparedness, mitigation, assessment and recovery/rehabilitation within the sector towards achieving national food security and sector well-being.
- Expand the agricultural sector knowledge base and technology options through introduction and short-term field observation studies of appropriate new field-driven agricultural production solutions from local and overseas sources; technical supervision of an indigenous knowledge programme, information networking.
- Facilitate efficient cutting-edge management of data covering all technical aspects of field operations by promoting and assisting in the geo-referencing of existing and new key, databases and building GIS capability in RADA.
- Implement national policy initiatives for food security, rural, agricultural and national economic development whilst fostering linkages with international donors, NGO’s, CBO’s and other relevant entities;
- Expand the resource base of the Division and Authority through the development and submission of project proposals and delivery of paid technology-based, training and information services to stakeholders and the general public.
Last modified onWednesday, 22 April 2015 13:59