Frequently Asked Questions

Q. 1.        What does RADA stand for?

Ans.    Rural Agricultural Development Authority


Q. 2.         What is the website address for RADA?

Ans.    RADA’s website address is


Q.3.         What is the website address for ABIS?



Q. 5.         Does RADA have a toll free number?

Ans.    Yes, RADA’s toll free number is 1-888-275-7232 or 1-888-ASK-RADA


Q.6.         Where can I find the locations of your Parish Office?

Ans.     Parish offices are located island-wide in major towns. Additionally RADA operates area offices within each Parish to which Extension Officers are assigned.



Q.7.         How do I register as a farmer?

Ans.    Contact your Extension Officer or visit the nearest Parish office location listed with a valid photo identification as well as information relating to your farming enterprise.


Q8.         What are the benefits to be derived from being a registered farmer with RADA?

Ans.    There are numerous benefits of being a registered farmer, some of these are:

  • All farmers in Jamaica are uniquely identified and officially recognized;
  • Used to screen disaster relief claims and to enable a fair distribution of benefits;
  • Qualifies farmers to access receipt books issued by the Jamaica Agricultural Society (JAS) under the amended Agricultural Produce Act;
  • Provides the Farmer with an ID which can be used as means of identification by lending institutions as well as suppliers offering discounts to farmers etc.;



Q.12.       Where can I purchase seeds/suckers/plants?

  1.       How can I stop my fruits from falling off before maturity?
  2.       How can I cutback/trim my overgrown fruit trees?

Ans.    Addressing this request requires telephone or other contact with the relevant personnel such as the Fruit Tree Crop Coordinator/ Fruit  Tree Crop Agronomist, or the relevant local Parish Manager.



Q.15.       Where can I get a RADA backyard gardening kit to purchase?

Ans.    You can get the kit to purchase at RADA’s AgriMart located at 191 Old Hope Road Kingston 6 (beside Jamaica College)

Q.16.       What does the RADA backyard gardening kit consists?

Ans.    The kit contains:

  • Seeds (vegetable)
  • Potting mix
  • Fertilizer or manure
  • Seed tray



Q.17.       Customer complains about pests & diseases destroying his/her plants/farm.

Ans.    This question is best addressed by contacting a Technical Specialist at either the Division of Technology, Training and Technical Information (1-888-275-7232) or regional specialist at your local Parish office.


Q.18.       Where do I find market for my produce?

Q.19.       What assistance does RADA gives to help farmers market their produce?

Ans.    Both questions above are related and are addressed as follows:

RADA provides market facilitation services to its farmers. Every  attempt is made to connect farmers and buyers for the marketing and distribution of agricultural produce. This link/connection is to both local and domestic markets. Contact our Director – Marketing, Production & Special Projects, Marketing Manager (1-888-275-7232) or your local Parish  Marketing Officer for assistance.



Q.20.       What assistance RADA gives to group/individual wanting to go into agro-processing?

Ans.    This question requires contact with an agricultural professional at our corporate and/or Parish offices locations listed on our Contact Us page.



Q.21.       How do I get land to buy/lease from Government for agriculture?

Ans.    All crown or government lands are managed/administered by the National Land Agency (NLA) Estate Management/Commissioner of Lands, which have offices island-wide. They can be contacted at 876-946-5263 or


Q.22.       What land is best suited for the growing of particular crops?

Ans.    This question requires contact with an agricultural professional at our corporate and/or Parish offices locations.



Q.23.       Does RADA offer tractor services and how is it accessed?

Ans.    Yes, contact the nearest Parish office to your operations.



Q.24.       What help can RADA give with irrigation?

Ans. Water for Farming/irrigation is managed by the Water Management Unit of the National Irrigation Commissioner which can be contacted at (876) 977-6624/4022/6727. You may also contact your the nearest  Parish office for any advice on local irrigation provision for your area.



Q.25.       Where do I get help to set up apiary for honey production?

Ans.    For assistance with enquiries on apiculture or matter related to honey production, call 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.


Q.26.       How do I get help about pest and disease affecting apiary or bee colony?

Ans.    For help with pest and disease affecting apiary or bee colony, call 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.



Q.27.       How do I get into or know about greenhouse production?

Ans.    To obtain information on how to get into greenhouse production, call 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.



Q.28.       How do I get information about Livestock Production or address problems with livestock – sheep, goat, rabbit, pigs, poultry, cattle.

Ans.    Information on livestock production or matters related to problems with your livestock can be obtained by calling 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.



Q.29.       How do I obtain a duty concession?

Q.30.       What are the types of vehicles on which I can obtain duty concession?

Q.31.       How long does it take for the concession to be granted?


Ans.    All three questions above are related and are addressed as follows: The matter of farm vehicle duty concession is best addressed by your local Parish Agricultural Manager, contact your local Parish office.



Q.32.       Does RADA give loans for farming?

Q.33.       Does RADA give cash subsidy for farming?

Q.34.       What type of assistance does RADA give to farmers/individuals/groups?

Ans.    Questions 32-34 speak to financial assistance. RADA’s does not directly provide financial agricultural assistance. In specific situations such natural disasters or through partnerships/projects the organization is requested to provide/distribute financial assistance to beneficiaries. RADA’s primary assistance to farming is to provide technical advice.


Q.35.       A customer wants to know how he/she can benefit from any particular agricultural project.

Ans.    There is no direct answer to this question as project beneficiaries can be a diverse situation. The recommended approach is for customers to contact their local Parish office to be guided on this issue.



Q.36.       What assistance does RADA give to farmers whose farm has been damaged/destroyed by fire, drought, flood, wind?

Ans. Should your farm suffer damage by fire, drought, flood, wind or any other natural disaster, report it immediately to 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.



Q.38.       How can I get someone from RADA to come to my church, school, club, etc. to speak on agriculture?

Ans.    To request a RADA Officer to make a presentation to your organization, call 1-888-275-7232 or contact your local Parish office.

Banner 468 x 60 px